On-site support in the Community
Posts about On-site support in the Community
St. Charles Special Needs School could use 2 volunteers for addressing the special education needs of children with disabilities, provision of therapy, and above all to share their experiences with teachers and children.
The school is NOT able to pay for lodging, food or transportation expenses. School authorities CAN provide information about safe and decent lodging, good meals and local transportation depending on how much the volunteer can afford to pay.
St. Charles Special Needs School is located in Ghana. The school has 4 teachers, 2 professionally trained and 2 who are not. At the present time, there are 22 children with disabilities enrolled at the school. The school serves both boys and girls and children range in age from 5 to 25 years. Disabilities include; Down's Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Autism, mobility impairments, visual impairments and speech problems. Some of the children are diagnosed with multiple disabling conditions.
St. Charles Special Needs School would like to develop a comprehensive disability awareness program.
The goals of this program would be to:
1. Reduce and eliminate the stigma so often associated with people with disabilities in our local community.
2. Increase acceptance of people with disabilities and promote full community integration.
3. Reduce the number of parents and guardians who hide their children with disabilities for fear of what public will say.
The work in Kimilili Clean Water Project is as follows:
- Identifying locations of a new water sources, either spring or well (they must serve more than ten families)
- If spring water, reconstruct or reroute water to enable sufficient drainage of water
- Build reservoir
- If well water, drill down to the water source
- Install a water pumping engine
- Install pipes so the water can flow freely
Find volunteers that are willing to travel to the community of Zabef to help with the teaching activities of the organization.
Make contact with the organizations that were located to inquire on their volunteer exchange programs.
Once a list of potential organizations and individuals has been made, help the local representative to decide what is needed to accomodate the teachers who will visit.
Assist with planning teacher training course (training the trainer) through volunteer teachers by helping to research national and international organizations that support teaching volunteer exchanges in China.
Over the last several months, Tejanath has been working with a website developer based in Kathmandu to establish a website featuring information about the Sankhuwasabha district of Nepal. The website is located here:
For this task, we are looking for volunteers to provide editing support, and also volunteers to help Tejanath write content for the website. What type of information would be useful in terms of making the website a successful marketing tool?